About the Author
N. Subba Reddy
N. Subba Reddy completed his MA (1946-48) and PhD (1952) at Lucknow University. For his PhD, he was awarded the Bonnarjee Research Prize. He joined the post of Deputy Director of Kanpur Social Survey (a Planning Commission project) under the directorship of Dr D.N. Majumdar, and their report was published in 1960 under the title “Social Contours of an Industrial City”; it was later re-printed in America in 1975. He joined Lucknow University as Lecturer in 1956. He handled the PG courses in anthropology at Gauhati Univerity (1957) and was in-charge of Centre for Tribal Research. He was instrumental in organising the Department of Anthropology at Andhra University (1960) and was with the Department, initially as Reader and Head of the Department and later as Professor (1961-76). He was closely associated with all the committees for the starting of anthropology at SV University, Tirupati. During the year 1970-71, he was a visiting senior fellow at the University of Illinois. In 1976, he moved to Madras University to start PG courses in anthropology. He also helped Tamil University to start a Centre for Tribal Research at Ooty, and he served on the committee to select the first team of teachers in anthropology at Calicut University (Kerala) and later helped to consolidate the courses there by delivering some lectures in the initial years. After his retirement at Madras University, he was invited by Centre for Economic and Social Studies, Hyderabad, for commencing research work on the tribal problems of Andhra Pradesh and continues to be an honorary professor in the institution.